Total Pageviews

Friday 16 December 2011

THE VULGARITY OF CHRISTMAS

Is there anything worse than good taste at Christmas? Those manicured, perfectly groomed, colour-co-ordinated trees that never seem to do anything as common as shed their needles are the anthesis of all that is   great about this time of year. They are the anti-Christ of decorations. Christmas trees by definition should be slightly gaudy. They should twinkle and be a little lop-sided and laden down unevenly with ornaments collected over time, never bought in a smash-and-grab frenzy. Ideally they should never have a theme either. I hate "themed" trees. Never trust anyone who says " this year I'm decorating my tree only in red". Not only do these people need to get a life, they need to find their inner child, their soul and they need to let go of all pretencions. Tis the season to be jolly. Don't underplay the decorations; unleash the over-the-top-genie.

5 comments:

  1. I am SO with you on themed trees, I couldn't agree more!!! Hoorah :)

    I like white lights on my tree but otherwise we have a collection of ornaments ranging from preschool decorations made by my children, things bought in NYC when my husband and I were first going out together, things sent from friends around the world and I always buy one of two new things each year. Each one has a memory which is exactly as it should be.

    My mum still has a wonky robin clinging on to a tissue paper covered loo roll that one of us made when we were little - actually, she won't tell either my 2 brothers or I who made it, so we all claim artistic ownership!!!

    Merry Christmas!! XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with you.

    I'm normally a white light person but this year my son wanted to decorate the tree. It's got coloured lights and decorations we've collected throughout the years - totally over the top - but we love it!

    Came in from work and the tree is leaning like a certain tower in Pisa at the moment. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love seeing themed trees in public places such as department stores etc. But for the home I agree with you; the tree should be as personal and uncoordinated as befits the history of all the lovely adornments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a tree after my own heart. Full of memories

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catching up on this blog...an alternative view on themed trees! Over the top genie fully unleashed with 20 themed trees. Couldn't have children - so a single tree without child-made adornments seemed sad. Became a reformed Scrooge and started on the themed trees. Not single colour, buy all the baubles in one packet trees - I agree they have no soul at all. Now it's become part of many children's Christmas tradition to come and see the trees and see what's been added to them. Got some great glass robots from Habitat to hang on the fifties tree this year. Did a Bollywood tree for the first time this Christmas which my Indian friends have enjoyed and added to. Inner child fully indulged but it has become rather addictive!

    ReplyDelete