Total Pageviews

Friday 9 December 2011

FESTIVE BRAG-BOOKS

I've received six Christmas cards so far this year and five of them are photo-cards. Festive brag-books. I'm have to confess I'm not a massive fan of "Look At My Beautiful Kids" cards. I remember making a note to myself when one plopped on our doormat about eight years ago. It was a from one of my daughters friends parents and it was a glossy, mounted 8x6 of a rather geeky girl ( their daughter ) smiling awkwardly at the camera with a silly hat on. My heart bleed for this kid. I could only begin to imagine the sniggering she would have to put up with at school. Not fair. I did it once. My kids were all under five and we were living in Los Angeles. I was too broke to do it properly so made a collage which I then photocopied. It was very home-spun and lame. I just know my children would have had me sectioned if I'd continued. I don't really know how this trend first began... When did we replace glittery stagecoaches and Father Christmases and wise men trekking across the desert towards a stable with happy snaps?
I think picture cards are just about ok if they are treated with disrespect and healthy dose of irony. Posed and primped they just come across as faux-Royal and a wee bit smug and pretentious. And ever-so-slightly odd.

2 comments:

  1. oh just you wait to see what i've come up with this year!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree. I received one from the US from a blog "friend"; it just felt too personal for me. Mind you the photo you are showing is the family which the film The Blind Side (with Sandra Bullock) was based on. I loved the film so much, and what this wonderful family did for their adopted son, that I can't help loving this card ;-)

    ReplyDelete