Total Pageviews

Saturday 3 December 2011

THE ONLY WAY IS TIGHTLESS

My walking girlfriend ( from henceforth called Female Walker)  has a wealth of wonderful adages. She's one of those fabulous women that effortlessly oozes style, so the moment she sprouts an adage one strives to emulate. It's like having a schoolgirl crush - suddenly my previously set-in-stone opinions get wobbly and uncertain. Walking with her every morning is a bit like being back in school. I want to impress the Prefect. When she cast a dubious eye over my electric blue, waterproof Nike jacket last year I wanted to torch it. Just like that. I hated it.
The other morning ( and remember, we're talking early, bleary-eyed, pre-caffeinated mornings) we were discussing tights. Female Walker asked me what I thought of tights. Black tights.
" Good, I think they're good," I replied with confidence. I mean what could possibly be WRONG about black tights? Black tights in winter are a no-brainer, surely?
" Mmmmn,"  pondered FW. " Silly of me I know, but for some reason I try very hard not to wear them until Christmas."

My legs swum before me, like a flicker photo book in reverse. I tried to remember Tights I Have Worn. And I sort of slightly dropped my walking pace. Because I suddenly saw the light. Thick black tights belong post-Christmas. They suit the long, dark days that follow when one is plunged into involuntary mourning for Spring. They are too try-hard for December; especially a mild one like this. They marry beautifully with chunky sweaters and boots; furry coats and layers. They need cold air and crunchy grass. Worn with mid-weight dresses and a cardigan they look clumsy.
" So what's the solution?" I ask tentatively.
"Tough it out," FW replies with authority. " Long skirts, trousers - perhaps a fine woollen tight if desperate. But not black."
" Not black," I mutter in agreement as we carry on with our walk the morning mist starting to rise.
Obviously, the only way is tightless. Until Christmas. I pray for mild weather.

 

2 comments:

  1. We are absolutely not getting mild weather... I dared to bare my legs on Saturday night and it was torturous!!!! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not having a stake in this, I am nonetheless curious about FW's reasons. It sounds as arbitrary as saying "No impressions of Al Pacino before February!" or "No Ben and Jerry's before the second week of Wimbledon!" How are these Rules drawn up? Where do they come from? x

    ReplyDelete