Total Pageviews

Wednesday 30 November 2011

THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH

I've come to the conclusion that pedicures are ultimately the work of the devil. They're fabulous, they're pampering, they're girlie, they're relaxing - but tragically, unless one is blessed with the type of chaffeur-driven,baby-soft feet that spend most of their days walking in white sand, a bi-monthly pedi can do more harm than good. I've just come from an appointment at the chiropodist, and basically they told me what I always knew but never dared to admit.
The quick soak in an an up-market washing-up bowl, a savage nail clipping,  a scrape-down with sandpaper before the gouging-out of the side of ones nails is all well and good, but years of it buggers up your feet.

For 7 years I have suffered from excessive hard skin on my feet coupled with night-time, eczema-style itching.I've been to dermatologists, G.P.'s, podiatrists,been tested for allergies to leather, nylon, plastic and washing-up detergents. I've plastered my feet with cortisone cream; worn white cotton socks to bed , cut out wheat, dairy, taken anti-histamines yet nothing and no-one has cured me. I've had the Seven Year  Itch.
Then I found a local chiropodist. Nothing fancy; nothing swanky. Somewhere that looks like a medical establishment trapped in a 1960's time-warp with nice ladies that actually love your feet enough to take care of them.
I've spent years reading back-issues of Closer magazine whilst anonymous, under-paid foreigners with one eye on a plasma screen playing continuous  MTV chatted to their fellow workers and discussed which pot-noodles to eat for lunch. A chiropodist offers no frills, and no Rouge Noire reward. Instead, they're interested in which Nike's you're wearing to exercise in. They don't talk; they tut. Walk-in nail bars have the same dialogue the world over:
"You want foot massage?"
"You go on holiday?"
" You want French?" And then The Killer Question:
" You need blade to remove skin?"
I probably never NEEDED a blade, but like the sword of Damocles out it would come. And like a true beauty-junkie, I'd let a cheap-and-cheerful (and quite possibly, unqualified) hacker mutilate my trotters.
The moment the recession hit and I stopped, my feet looked fabulous.
" Pedicures generate and regenerate hard skin," explained the chiropodist, gently using an electric sander for all of 30 seconds to buff away surface hard skin. " It creates a vicious circle. And for someone with feet like yours that's not a wise move."
So no more pedicures for me unless they're medicinal ones. I occasionally treat myself to a professional varnish but I've given up getting the quick-fix and as a consequence no longer suffer from being hacked. What a result.  


   

2 comments:

  1. Being a busy Chiropodist I am glad you have found Chiropody the answer. I trained for three years in the care of feet and sterlisation of instuments is essential. I do worry about Beauty salons who just soak nail clippers in disinfectant which is not enough to kill nasty things .Also you cannot sterlise those bubbly foot spas. I have seen people post pedicure with nasty infections. I dont know why beautitians think that cuticles must be removed. They are the bodies seal to prevent infections. I don't tut too much and love the six weekly catch up of all the latest news.It so satisfying having someone come to see me with bad feet and then they walk out with feet looking at least tens years younger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm telling you - seeing a chiropodist has saved my sanity ( and my feet!) I truly can't believe I have been so reckless with my feet for so long! I think you do a GREAT job, and also I get my toenails cut PROPERLY - what a difference! Thank you for reading and agreeing!

    ReplyDelete