Total Pageviews

Tuesday 29 November 2011

SHOW AND TELL

Just an observation on being a mother and a wife: does anyone else have to go through show-and-tell when their husband/boyfriend/son goes out to do the grocery shopping?
When I go to the supermarket, I simply get the food, pack it into bags,into the car,out of the car, into the kitchen and into the fridge with no fanfare. I do it on auto-pilot - albeit sometimes with very little grace - but I do it without expecting ( or receiving) applause.
My husband shows me everything he's bought; rather like a cat laying down a dead mouse and expecting an extra bowl of Whiskers as a reward.
" I got these apples," he'll say with barely disguised pride and a healthy dose of wonder.
" Great," I'll reply.
" And the milk. I got the milk."
" Brilliant," I'll say.
" And this cereal," he'll continue,undaunted.
By now our kitchen counter looks like the conveyor belt on The Generation Game.
" Is this the right chicken?" he'll ask.
"Yup," I reply by now losing interest in this endless show-and-tell display.
" I got Nescafe."
"Johnnie," I snap ungratefully. "I'm thrilled you did the shopping, but I'm afraid I'm not a nice enough person to admire it. I just don't have it in me. I'm sorry."
It's usually at this point my son wanders in.
" Mum, I've unloaded the dishwasher for you. Look."
Next time they do it I may be tempted to take them on a "laundry outing".
" Come, let me show you all the boxer shorts I washed earlier. And the socks. Oh, and before I forget - the sheets...."

3 comments:

  1. How right you are. When my husband goes shopping (not very often) his return does turn into show and tell! Starts moaning about the cost of food, even though he's gone off-list and bought things nobody but him will eat! He also has be to praised when any job is completed around the house! After years of marriage I find that I go into over praise mode now and have noticed more jobs being finished! I look forward to the day he says, "Wow, darling the toilet is so clean and sparkly". I won't hold my breath though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me laugh so much!! It must be all men, certainly the ones in my household, even my 6 year son!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If my husband ever does anything around the house he has to tell me and I have to be ever so grateful. I think to myself if I gave you my list we would be here all day.
    The worse thing is when I have been shopping he likes to see what I have bought so unpacks it all onto the table and then wanders off. Never thinking to take it out of the bag and then put it in the cupboard.
    But he is very good at turning the television on which has become so complicated with surround sounds and apple tvs and all sorts of weird boxes which are beyond me. If I want to turn the television on I have to press about 100 buttons and then it doesnt work.
    But I do love him x

    ReplyDelete