Total Pageviews

Sunday 27 November 2011

SLEEPING BEAUTIES


I went to the Frock Me vintage clothes fair today in Chelsea. It was packed with rails of the most covetable clothes and I was suddenly struck by the volume and beauty of nightdresses on sale. There were silk, satin, cotton nightdresses of such sensuous appeal. All second-hand survivors from as long ago as the 20's. Delicately embroidered, bias-cut, bosom-hugging, hip-skimming made from fabrics as light as butterfly wings. Many were stunning enough to wear as summer dresses - indeed I lusted after a pale blue floral one which wafted around my shins and would have looked fabulous with a pair of white laceless converse and a cotton cardigan. It made me realise what a massive cultural change has taken place in the way we dress for bed. 70,60,50 years ago women obviously put much more care and effort into their night-time attire than we do now. I don't know many women of my age (and under) that sleep in anything note-worthy. We all stumble off to bed and sling on an old kaftan or a pair of ill-fitting pajama bottoms or an over-sized t-shirt. Or we sleep naked. My mother buys me "pretty" nightdresses, possibly because she belongs to a generation that placed importance on such things. I could be wrong ( and I'd love to hear your views) but could it be because we've become culturally impervious to spending serious money on things only our husbands/boyfriends/lovers see? Or are we simply too multi-tasking, too time-starved, too tired and too lazy to make an effort?    

5 comments:

  1. i call us the "gap" generation... because it's all about cosy theses days... i mean Downton Abby is stunning to look at but can u imagine beaing that uncomfortable on a daily basis!!???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely identify with mother's buying daughters "pretty" nightdresses. My mum once bought me a floor length pink satin nightdress that was lined with pink towelling. I think it would have been a perfect present for a very,very old lady probably bed-ridden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Toast nightwear - lovely fabric that suggests Twenties glamour is made into comfortable pjamas. It's a good compromise. Personally, I wouldn't choose to wear nightwear covered in teddy bears or cartoon characters - I wonder what our granparents/great grandparents would make of adults wearing adult-sized versions of children's night clothes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few years ago I employed a male aupair in his late twenties who came downstairs on christmas day in a all in one giant baby grow covered in trains - so it's not just us girls. The trouble is it's the main memory of that christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the male aupair story!!! It would have made my Christmas too! Memories are made of this...... and never forget someone actually chose him that outfit... so, so wrong.

    ReplyDelete