Total Pageviews

Monday 21 November 2011

THE WORST HOSPITAL DISEASE

Two weeks ago I had to drive my son to Chelsea and Westminster for an operation on his knee. He was in a lot of pain and on crutches. I parked my car in the car park - no choice. I don't have Res Parking in that area, couldn't pull up and deposit him on the pavement and if I'd used a Pay and Display I'd have been fretting I'd have exceeded my 2 hour limit. So I used the Hospital Car Park. The Hospital Car Park ( one assumes) is for doctors, nurses, consultants, patients and visitors. It's not situated adjacent to a vast hospital just for the shits and giggles, nor for the convenience of going to the reception area to get a coffee - it's there so that people using the medical facility can get out of their cars and either trundle off to start work or else for patients to attend appointments and for visitors to visit those that are ill.
Let's face it:- no-one parking their car is there for a jolly day out. One is frazzled, worried, nervous and inevitably loses track of time. Shit happens. Labour takes days, not hours. The elderly relative wants comfort. The sick child needs their parent. The appointment runs late. The scanner is broken. The x-ray showed a break that needs surgery.
My son had to wait seven hours for a hospital bed. He was in pain. I am his mother and I waited with him. It cost me close to £40. NHS medical service - private car park prices. Someone is having a laugh at the patients expense. There was an elderly woman, struggling through tears to pay for the hours she clocked up holding her husbands hand while he died. It broke my heart.


I find it offensive that these car parks are basically profiting from disaster and disease.... Thought? Comments?      

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah, having spent 6 weeks at C & W prior to the triplets, I know about their extortionate prices. It is a complete rip-off as it is in most hospitals. Certainly for the maternity if you retain the ticket the nursing staff can do something which enables you to park for free in an emergency situation, and the elderly woman would definitely get it reimbursed. Ortho is my speciality, has he torn his cruciate ligament? Usually the case with fit young men who are active sportsmen? The hospital where I work is quite kind, it realises that Outpatients appointments etc. frequently overrun, so it never tickets cars, provided they are displaying a ticket (even if only for an hour). Hope you get it sorted. xxx Grania

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup cruciate for second time......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree.... It's outrageous it really is. The average person cannot afford to pay these inflated prices to visit a loved one potentially for days on end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's legally very very very difficult for them to get you to pay (its a civil not criminal offence and so they'd have to take you to small claims court and prove beyond suspicion you actively caused them a loss of the equivalent amount. Its very difficult, they won't bother.)

    So if you think moral is on your side just drive out next time :)

    ReplyDelete